Book: The Very Hungry Caterpillar
Author: Eric Carle
Summary: This book is about a caterpillar who is very hungry. He eats through all different kinds of fruits and other foods. He then makes himself a cocoon and turns into a beautiful butterfly.
Evaluation: This book is a great tool to teach students so many different things. I think it a great book to have in the classroom and who doesn't love Eric Carle. The use of his texture is great in all his books. It would fall under the genre of realistic fiction because it is a story about something that really could happen in real life.
Motivational Activities:
Sequencing: Students will have all the fruits that the caterpillar ate through. They will have to put them in order and glue down to a piece of paper.
Butterfly Directions: The students would create their own butterfly using print outs and popsicle sticks. The teacher will call out different directions (high, low, in the middle, etc.) and the students would do that with their butterflies to help learn directions.
Personal Comments: I've always loved this book because I've always enjoyed anything Eric Carle writes. This book has always been a child hood favorite and I will definitely have this book in my classroom.
Questions:
- Why did the caterpillar eat all the food?
- What is the lifecycle of a caterpillar?
References:
Carle, Eric. The Very Hungry Caterpillar. [New York]: Philomel, 1987. Print.

No comments:
Post a Comment